Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Restricting a circulating pump
[Return to Topics]

deadcarp    Posted 10-17-2003 at 07:35:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
what's the best plan here? i have a hot-water recirculating pump to feed my furnace from the reservoir, i installed 3/4" copper and it's just a tad too enthusiastic. fills the boiler alright, but then keeps adding water until the overflow trickles. i'm kinda stuck with the setup, can't block the overflow and and my system won't hold much back-pressure, so i seem to have choice of ways to restrict the flow: install a necked-down section of pipe (to maybe 1/2"), install a valve along the line or stuff a restrictor plate (glorified washer)(like a racecar thermostat) just past the pump. does anybody know if this slower flow would hurt the pump?

Willy-N Check here    Posted 10-17-2003 at 19:23:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Here is a Bell&Gosset information site. They make a good circulating pump for hot water system. Mark H.

Willy-N    Posted 10-17-2003 at 10:09:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
Are you filling or circulating? The true circulating pumps a very low GPM and you could just put a valve on the pipe to slow it down. Some large water heaters use them to stir the tank for a even temp and to stop the water from boiling on the elements and causeing very hot water at the top of the tank and kicking out the over heat (high temp) relays. Others are used to just keep it moving in the system for long runs so you do not have to waist so much water to get it warm at the point of use like in apartments or big homes. What is it you are tring to do? Mark H.

Greg S    Posted 10-17-2003 at 08:51:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
Putting a ball valve in the line should work. Ball valves work well as a throttling valve. The pump should be ok as long as you don't shut the flow off totally, centrifugal pumps are made to work against varying heads.

deadcarp    Posted 10-17-2003 at 13:56:29       [Reply]  [No Email]
i'm trying to citculate hot water from the reservoir in the porch, out thru the boiler and back again. there will be another thermostat-triggered pump for supplying that hot water to the cabin. don't know what the head is, but i'm trying to get it not to trickle out my overflow. that can have up to 3 feet of stack height. everything started out as zero-pressure so i'm trying not to stress the system. i tried a valve today instead of necking it down - good thing i did cuz that pump's ornery - if you restrict the thing, it just squirts faster and gives me the flow anyway. i might have to consider a slower pump - wish i knew more about them :I

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community