Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Removing submersible pump question.
[Return to Topics]

Bob in CO.    Posted 11-10-2003 at 13:01:46       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I have checked my pitless adapter and it is dry (inside and out of pipe) - I think I have a crack in the schedule 80 or? So I need to pull my pump. Pump is hanging on 400' of schedule 80. I have access to a Ford 555 backhoe to help pull the pump & pipe. In the past I have seen pump setters use a "pipe jack" or collar to pull the pipe through. This device clamps the pipe so it doesn't drop back in the well as you are pulling or dropping pipe and adding or removing 20' lengths with threaded couplers. My question is what is this device; can it be rented; or is there a clever way to do this without the device? I will get a torque arrestor and a couple check valves to have during the pull. Thanks in advance - Bob

Ron from IL    Posted 11-11-2003 at 07:39:46       [Reply]  [No Email]

I had just exactly the problem you describe. I had small holes in my delivery line, causing the "shower head" sound effects. My discharge line is galvanized steel pipe and 200' long, so I opted for the plumbers to do the job. It took two of them all day to pull the line, clean the pump and put in all new pipe. The cost--$1000 for the day. My pump would not pump up to pressure. I have my cutouts set at 70# (upper limit) and 35# (lower), and it would not pump any higher than 50#. When I pulled my well cap, I heard the "shower head" sound and knew what was up.

Good luck!


Bob    Posted 11-11-2003 at 07:57:19       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Thanks for the comments Ron. I decided to have the pro's come out - YIKES! I hope it isn't a thousand dollars. If it is over 250.00 I will have them stop and set the pump back in myself (so I think?) Was your pump hanging on 20' schedule 80 PVC or? I assume this is what you call "delivery line."

Ron from Il    Posted 11-12-2003 at 07:19:44       [Reply]  [No Email]

No, my line is 1" galvanized steel--too heavy for me to handle alone. I suppose I could have cobbled up a stand/winch to handle the 20' lengths, but I felt that was just asking for trouble. Note that they also REPLACED all 175' of pipe as part of the $1000.


Bob    Posted 11-10-2003 at 16:35:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
Before you get too drastic, try installing a check valve in the well discharge line as close to the well as possible, before the pressure tank. The check valve on your submersible pump may have failed, and that might be all you need.

Bob in CO    Posted 11-10-2003 at 16:56:41       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I thought about this - but I can hear a hissing noise (pump on or off - at least until the pressure drains off). I am assuming there is a pipe split or ? above the water line or I wouldn't hear this - what do you think?

TB    Posted 11-10-2003 at 17:12:28       [Reply]  [No Email]
I don't know a pipe full of water can be anexcellent conduit for carring sound as well as water sometimes?

buck    Posted 11-10-2003 at 15:17:53       [Reply]  [No Email]

I would vote for that 3 wheel pipe puller and going back with a single length of the proper plastic pipe (each joint is a potential problem) I would think that many rental places rent the 3 wheel puller.

TB    Posted 11-10-2003 at 14:05:20       [Reply]  [No Email]
Around here the pro's have a machine to pull a wellpump. It has three tires on it that clamps around the pipe. Most of the time if it is stiff pipe thay just break it off and replace it. Without any machines, 400' you better have about 6 good strong backs around. Thats way some of us recomended a pro. It will be a lot easer on your back.

Willy-N    Posted 11-10-2003 at 13:46:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
Depending on how low the water is in your well you could lift it by hand. I lift mine out and it is down 375 ft and has sch 160 wall pipe but I have one length of it and have to take breaks after I pull a big section out. I also have a rope and pulley to hold it with when I stop. I have a 1 1/2 HP pump on the end. It is a chore but cheaper than the 250.00+ the pump people want to lift it out. Mark H.

Grove r    Posted 11-10-2003 at 13:21:46       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hi, Bob, if you have a chain pipe vise, you can use that to clamp off the pipe as you need to, otherwise a good substantial bolt clamp will do also, ie, two pieces of good flat stock bolted to the pipe, to rest on the casing, have a gooder, R.E.L.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community