Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Water Heater
[Return to Topics]

Mike    Posted 12-02-2003 at 17:44:05       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Does a Gas Water Heater work for both Natural gas and propane or is there two different units ?

Ron/PA    Posted 12-03-2003 at 11:25:53       [Reply]  [No Email]
Mike, yes your heater should be capable of either or. As one who works on furnaces, and will on a very rare occasion tangle with gas, (other than my own) I'd like to offer this advice.
If you had to ask, and don't know what an orafice is, PLEASE get a qualified serviceman to either do it for you, or come out and walk you through it.
Please don't think I'm being a smarta$$ I just don't want you to end up with a major problem. There are plenty of folks out there who will show you the parts and pieces of a gas burner, and show you what they are doing. Once you have the basics it's all common sense until you get into todays 'puterized marvels. Then you're on your own.
I show a couple of people each year how to clean and service their oil burners. It's not any kind of secrete, and they should know how to make basic repairs to their own equipment.
Good luck,

Donna from Mo    Posted 12-03-2003 at 03:15:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
The people who deliver our propane fixed our new gas range to work with propane. You might try asking your supplier if they do that.

SHeiserman    Posted 12-02-2003 at 18:45:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
I had to convert a natural gas w.h. over to propane once. I had to change the whole gas valve assembly. You use the same pilot and burner tubes, just screw into a propane valve ass'y. Be careful when unscrewing the pilot tube, that little line breaks pretty easy. I do not know if you can buy the gas valve assembly at a do it yourself type place or not. A plumber should be able to get it for you if not. Good luck.

deadcarp    Posted 12-02-2003 at 17:49:31       [Reply]  [No Email]
same unit can burn either kinda gas - but you'll need a different orifice :)

Mike    Posted 12-02-2003 at 17:52:23       [Reply]  [Send Email]
So whats an orifice? Do I tell the guy at Home Depot and he will have a propane orifice?

Lazy Al    Posted 12-02-2003 at 18:37:48       [Reply]  [No Email]
you need a conversion kit. I highly recomend you don't do this your self . Get some one that knows
what their doing to do it .

Les    Posted 12-02-2003 at 18:01:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
I thought deadcarp would answer but....
Yes, just tell the guy what kind of gas you'll be burning. Orifice is another word for opening.

sid    Posted 12-02-2003 at 18:58:40       [Reply]  [No Email]
Glad you straightened that out I thought orfice was a place of business like a doctor's orfice.

Les...Well it's    Posted 12-03-2003 at 03:22:21       [Reply]  [No Email]
really a place where Bill Clinton used to.....

deadcarp    Posted 12-03-2003 at 03:31:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
now why can't people leave clinton alone? ever since he left the oral office ---- heh heh

Gene SC    Posted 12-03-2003 at 14:38:59       [Reply]  [No Email]
If your Home Depot is like ours, I suggest
you ask your supplier ALL your questions
and stay away from HD.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community