Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Origin of antique wheels???
[Return to Topics]

rancho calypso    Posted 12-10-2003 at 07:29:14       [Reply]  [Send Email]
We bought a couple of antique wheels yesterday. We are wondering what equipment they might have been on? These are large (4' or more in diameter), double spoked, all metal and very stout. Any ideas? We plan on making gates or augumenting some fence area with these bad boys.

Brother George    Posted 12-11-2003 at 04:27:45       [Reply]  [No Email]
You guys just took me down memory lane describing the repeat action of a horse drawn hay rake. Back in the early 50's when I was a boy, I raked hay with such a machine. As I recall, all one had to do was trip (engage) the dog and after the rake dumped it would automatically return to the lower position. However, sometimes that feature simply wouldn't work and that's when the tines repeatidly slapped against the rear of the seat. Now sirs, that can be a disturbing thing for a 14 year old boy trying to do dad's work.
Thanks for the memory.

Jerry (KS)    Posted 12-10-2003 at 13:49:22       [Reply]  [No Email]

The wheels look like they came off of one of these.

deadcarp    Posted 12-10-2003 at 09:42:22       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'd say they're off a horse drawn hayrake (dump rake). see those wobbly cogs inside the hollow hub? when you wanted to dump the load, you "tromped" on the "treadle", which in turn engaged a bar-type thing against those cogs, then as the wheel rotated it would carry the rake teeth upward til the thing released (often whapping the rake seat and driver in the butt and chewing up your shirt tail.) if your foot was slow, the teeth would keep slapping the seat to remind you to let go. whatever you do, don't tromp that treadle if the horses are trotting! :)

Jet9N    Posted 12-10-2003 at 13:17:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
I believe that "bar-type thing" is called a "dog".
You're right about getting slapped on the butt.


Doc    Posted 12-10-2003 at 07:44:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
Don't look like actual antiques, but definately old. My guess is they came of of farm machinery such as hay rake or a planter of some kind. Those wheels are used for a variety of farm implements. I say "are" because some are still being used today in the Amish community.

That'd be my guess.

Calypso again...    Posted 12-10-2003 at 08:14:32       [Reply]  [No Email]
found this from your lead Doc:

looks like the origin. Thanks

calypso    Posted 12-10-2003 at 07:50:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
I agree Doc about the NOT antique thing. I guess I should have been more clear on that front. I suspect they are from the 40's or even 50's? They would probably have some wood attached or be wood if they were 'real' antiques. Still pretty old and on their way to antique status ;-) We did buy them in an antique store in Florence, CO.

There ya go    Posted 12-10-2003 at 08:59:33       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yeah, there still around and in use today. Make great yard or driveway ornaments. I have access to quite a few buggy and wagon wheels living amidst the Amish but they know the tourist value and don't give them away. I myself have a large horse drawn wooden cart wheel in my front yard.

It cost me $50 but I can get a lot of old Amish buggy wheels if your interested.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community