Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Stove Pipe Damper Correction
[Return to Topics]

Rich D.    Posted 12-15-2003 at 06:16:36       [Reply]  [Send Email]

I have an 8 inch damper for my wood stove. This damper is the type that has a spring which keeps the flap from spinning on the rod handle. This spring was released by mistake by turning the handle to far in one direction. Now the flap spins on the rod. Can this spring be put back in its orignal place without removing the pipes and the damper itself.


Rich in Illinois

Lazy Al    Posted 12-15-2003 at 07:09:23       [Reply]  [No Email]
If you can get a clamp and squeeze the pipe Just a little and make it oval then push in on the handle and try and turn it so it gets back in the grove . They make them so cheap that I had to take mine apart and weld a little ridge to make the handle stay in the grove . If you don't have a big enough clamp use two boards and some string and make one . lol like so .

Salmoneye    Posted 12-15-2003 at 08:55:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
The easy way is to drill a small hole 90 degrees from the damper rod, and insert a small punch...Rotate the damper till it contacts the punch, and then reset the rod to the correct position...Remove the rod and fill the hole with a small daub of play-doh, or stove cement...Something that will harden...You can always dig out the filler if you need to use the hole again...

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community