Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Inter-room fan
[Return to Topics]

dave 50 8n    Posted 12-29-2003 at 13:40:30       [Reply]  [No Email]
Need to move more heat from livingroom to bedroom. Thinking of putting a fan inside the wall, near the ceiling. Power is available in wall.

Anyone know of a to get such fans?


evhudd    Posted 12-30-2003 at 11:04:37       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Not knowing what type of heat you have, but, if Forced air furnace, consider adding another cold air return in bedroom. We recently added some to coller areas of house and WOW what a difference. You can use flexible duct very easy and inexpensive. If that won't work for you, try a simple bathroom ceiling fan in your wall,ducted to a plain louver vent. Good luck.

deadcarp    Posted 12-29-2003 at 16:28:47       [Reply]  [No Email]
if you had 2 openings in the room, warm air would enter the higher one as it rises and push the cold air out the lower one. no fan neded. to start proper circulation you need 2 though - 1 hole's only a leak. (at least that's what i keep telling the wife when she opens a window :)

Linda in UT    Posted 12-29-2003 at 23:41:27       [Reply]  [No Email]
Agree, DC.

I'm not sure about the safety aspect, but here's the setup in a home I once owned. We had a wood burning stove in a corner of the living room. The walls behind the stove were common walls with the dining room and the hallway at the base of the stairs.

There was a standard floor vent cover in each wall above the stove near ceiling height. On the opposite side of those walls were standard floor vent covers near the floor. The code in that state didn't require fireblock in the walls, so the air was collected in the vents at the top, pulled down between the studs, and moved out at floor level on the opposite side of the walls. There was a small fan inside each wall, but I can't remember if it was at the top or at the bottom of the vent system. The fans were controlled by a wall switch and the system was installed at the time the home was built.

The system worked pretty well but, again, check the safety of the setup with your local fire marshall if you should decide to try it.

Wyo    Posted 12-29-2003 at 13:57:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
Broan is a good brand name and they have a lot of options, just depends on your need/application. You can get these at home builder stores or electrical wholesale stores. Good luck. Also you may look online at Broan's website.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community