Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Well, well, me thinking
[Return to Topics]

dave 50 8n    Posted 01-05-2004 at 12:43:01       [Reply]  [No Email]
I want to build a working scale windmill (maybe 20'?) to pump up water from a shallow well for irrigation, or just for fun.

(I have way more ideas than time or sense, sometimes.)

Question: My water table is high (was measured once at 11' in August). Any ideas how to drill a well this shallow w/o a big rig coming out and paying a kabillion buckeroos? I guess I'd need to drill it 40' or so? Is this a pipe dream?

Lazy Al    Posted 01-05-2004 at 13:52:56       [Reply]  [No Email]
Why don't you check around and see if you can rent one of those well digging rigs. It stands about six feet high and has a electric motor on top and you just keep adding augers. after you hit water you can basicly drop you pipe in .
Dean Bennett Supply Co has all the other stuff you'll need . They're out in Denver . They must have a web site but I don't have it .

ezyed    Posted 01-05-2004 at 13:48:43       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Around here in northern Wisc. you can drive what is called a sand point by hand. Even our ace hardware has the points and pipes that are required. A well driller can drive it also and it is much cheper than a drilled well.

Linda in UT    Posted 01-05-2004 at 22:18:27       [Reply]  [No Email]
Fellow here put in two shallow livestock wells using that method a few years back. He drove the pipe with a backhoe bucket. He only had to go about 20 feet and said he was very happy with the results.

Doc    Posted 01-05-2004 at 13:37:00       [Reply]  [No Email]
Pipe Driver. You probably need the excersise anyway.

hay    Posted 01-05-2004 at 13:22:34       [Reply]  [No Email]
it could probably be done with an old style hand twist auger. depends on how much work you want to do and the type of soil you have. however if the water table is that shallow then the soil should be fairly easy to dig. another option would be to rig up a old rear axle to a power source and fit an auger or drill bit on it. just think of the way it was done 100 years ago.

M.R.    Posted 01-05-2004 at 13:06:28       [Reply]  [No Email]
At 11' Why not trench with a backhoe, With some drainage rock & tile or 4" drain field pipe with the holes up to a stand pipe to pump from?

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community