Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community
Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

Channels
Gardening
Livestock
The Kitchen
Machinery
Tools

Photographs
Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Fun
Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Pictures
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Miscellaneous
Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

  
Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Vent Free Heaters
[Return to Topics]

Wondering    Posted 01-06-2004 at 12:35:00       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Can someone explain to me why some gas heaters are vent free and others require a chimney? Where does the toxic carbon monoxide go with a vent free or does it just not create any?


rhudson    Posted 01-06-2004 at 16:03:24       [Reply]  [Send Email]
I could be wrong on this but the sweating is not a danger sign in itself. water is a product of burning hydrocarbons(h20). it is harmless. but it might be an indicator of a house so tight that not enough fresh air in intering to dilute the co2 gas that is also produced and could cause problems. one co2 montor is nec. two would give you back up.


got one - like it.    Posted 01-06-2004 at 13:45:59       [Reply]  [No Email]
We have a radiant style propane heater. It is wall mounted. Vent free. We do not have problems with the windows sweating. We have a CO tester in the kitchen. It has never emitted an alarm. We keep fresh batteries in it for backup. We keep one window slightly cracked, but have always done that anyway.

Our heater requires no electricity to ignite. That is a BIG PLUS during hard ice storms like 2 weeks ago.

We also burn wood. Mike D


deadcarp    Posted 01-06-2004 at 16:56:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
sounds like our setup - the propane is there for backup and we have a co detector plugged in next to it. we've used the vent-free for weeks at a time - no co detected in 6 years - and that thing can dead the co in cigarette smoke. :)



oops    Posted 01-06-2004 at 16:58:14       [Reply]  [No Email]
that's -- "read the co in cigarette smoke" :)


cowlady    Posted 01-06-2004 at 12:51:18       [Reply]  [No Email]
Good Question...
I am paranoid, so we vented. Seem to lose most of the heat up the chimney.

My brother's fireplace is vent free and while it gives off much more heat, it also smells "gassy".

Neither of us have had the carbon monoxide detector show a reading.


Rowdy Yates    Posted 01-06-2004 at 12:48:28       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Yes, the carbon monoxide is still there, the heaters are made to burn more efficient and not produce "as much". But it's still there. They are starting to "ban" the use of them in alot of city's. They are best used for an emergency back up heat source, but for only limited periods of time. I've seen these used in homes and the windows would sweat (condensation) from the CO in the house. Alot of condensation on windows is a sign of CO. I have had to remove them for this reason. The newest models have CO sensors built into them so when the levels get to high they are suppose to automaticaly shut down. I don't trust them myself. The "vented" type are the best.


TB    Posted 01-06-2004 at 16:48:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have herd in some states New York for one? that ventless heaters are illegal. But then if you live in a corn crib I don't see a problem.


Steve from TN    Posted 01-06-2004 at 13:43:54       [Reply]  [No Email]
I was told that there have been no deaths from CO2 since they started using the sensors that automatically shut down the fire. I have a ventless fireplace and have had it for maybe 6 years. Now, you've got me worried. I do have a lot of condensation on my windows.


give you mine    Posted 01-06-2004 at 18:24:05       [Reply]  [No Email]
I got one too, and all those fumes stay right in the house and they smell. Sure, you get used to the fumes, but they are there. Go to an opposite wall or a corner, seems like it is worse where the fumes pile up. I have a new home, and it is pretty tight I imagine, so not much air gap. Gonna tear it out when I have the chance
REt


JD-Tractor    Posted 01-06-2004 at 19:26:55       [Reply]  [No Email]
Bought one for the new mellineum problems that never happened But it was a good investment for power failures in the winter heats 1100 sq. ft has no noticeable odor or condensation. have had three major ice storms w/power failures since ,no problems at all. situated so that unobstructed airflow over entire house.


Gene SC    Posted 01-06-2004 at 15:24:56       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have 2 ventless that I use every day. windows
do sweat some not excessively. BUT make sure you
have a co sensor located where you can hear it
at night or when sleeping. Mine is a 110v w/batt.
back-up. It has never registered any co yet but
it makes me sleep better. Gene


[Return to Topics]



[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community