Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Willy-N I Need Info On Wire
[Return to Topics]

Burlgoat    Posted 02-02-2004 at 18:11:36       [Reply]  [No Email]
I need to run a service from power pole to house.It is for 200 amp.Will 2/0 copper be large enough? only running about 30 feet.Also planning on useing a 1/0 for ground.Will all of this be o.k? thanks and have a great evening.Tell Shelby hi.

Willy-N    Posted 02-02-2004 at 19:25:09       [Reply]  [No Email]
Around here 2/0 Copper is OK for the sevice conductors and OK in the National Electrical Code. A #4 copper would be fine for the ground wire and #1 or 1/0 copper for the neutral. If you wanted to save some money and go with 2 inch conduit you could use 4/0, 4/0, 2/0 alum and #2 alum for the ground. You do not need to carry the ground to the house if the house is the first means of disconection and you are not using a mobil home type panel on the pole. If it is just a meter socket you get your ground off the panel at the house. Check with your Local Serving Electrical Utilitys for there specs they want they should be able to give you a Service Spec Sheet. Sometimes they differ for each area and they sorta set there own tules when it involves the meter socket. After the socket it is up to NEC (National Electrical Code) and Local Codes to make it better than NEC code. Mark H.

Dave Munson    Posted 02-02-2004 at 21:14:41       [Reply]  [No Email]
I thought with Aluminum you would need a terminal rated for Aluminum.

Willy-N    Posted 02-02-2004 at 21:46:39       [Reply]  [No Email]
Most conections made now days in are rated for either Copper or Aluminum but not both in the same hole. I took for granted he was going underground and not over head with the wires. If it was over head he could go smaller wire but still have to conect to the larger wire going down the service entrance overhead mast to the panel. If you need to splice copper to alumium they make lots of tube style crimps, split bolt lugs w/seperator or just double lugs with 2 wire holes and a bolt down hole to attach it in the panel. Old style services used to be rated for copper only befor the use of smaller alumimum wire. The conector will say on the side of them or in services on a spec sheet glued to the side of the box. Mark H.

fredo.    Posted 02-02-2004 at 19:02:02       [Reply]  [Send Email]
in ground or free air? it works in mich. if you use the right type of wire. that is copper. if you use aluminum wire one size bigger is required.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community