Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

What is it?
[Return to Topics]

ransomed2    Posted 12-15-2001 at 21:24:26       [Reply]  [Send Email]
We found a big old metal thing on the roof of our wellhouse. I thought that it might be a butter churn, but I haven't been able to identify it. This is a fully enclosed cast-iron container that has a small door on the side of it. Inside are sixteen pairs of brass cups. There is a crank on the side of this thing, and it has feet. The container is sort of shaped like a flying saucer, or like a cream separator tub that has a top. Any ideas? We are clueless!


Lew    Posted 12-16-2001 at 19:51:46       [Reply]  [Send Email]
In the late 1930's my dad lugged one of those around the county to test milk at the farm. He tested 29 herds a month with samples from both the evening and morning milking. He also needed sulfric acid which he also carried in the trunk in a glass gallon jug. He had the misfortune of breaking one once and we developed a see through trunk. When he was testing near home I sometimes got to go along, otherwise he stayed over night with the farmer. February was an interesting month with 29 herds and 28 days. My mother would go with him and be dropped off at one farm to collect samples while my dad did a neighboring farm. He then ran two sets of tests the next day. Along came WWII and he went to work in a factory, never to return to milk testing. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

JoeK    Posted 12-15-2001 at 23:45:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
What I believe you have is a "centrifuge" that was used for butterfat testing of milk.Years(1960s?)ag agent used to drop off one of these and a carrier/box containing small longnecked glass tubes once a month for milk testing,All I vaguely remember is that a sample of ea cows milk was placed in a numbered tube.Tubes were then placed in the "cups" of the device and spun at speed for a period of time...beyond that I do not recall,just that ea farmer had a couple days use and had to clean the unit and tubes before they went to next farmer.Later came a drop off sample bottle box,which was then picked up and Agent did the tests in lab/office.I remember "centrifuge" being dark gray painted cast iron with external crank/shaft/gears on the side/top.

JoeK More    Posted 12-16-2001 at 00:04:57       [Reply]  [No Email]
Found this online,this is like the one I recall.Companion piece would be a tin box about 7x10 with a set of long neck glass"babcock tubes" used in the unit.

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community