Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

They're going to build upstream of my springhouse
[Return to Topics]

Michele in VA    Posted 02-16-2004 at 17:50:37       [Reply]  [No Email]
My springhouse is at the nadir of several hills. Those hills' runoff ends up in my springhouse, but i filter out the silt and clean it up with a UV light. Now, however, developers want to grade the hills and cover them with houses on 1/4 acre lots. Everything running down those denuded hills will muddy up my springhouse, clogging my filters which virtually stops the water. I'm the only one whose water system will be threatened by this multimillion dollar development, and i hope they do the right thing, but i haven't heard from them. what kind of rights do i have? they say they'll put up those black rainfences. hey, most of those things fall down in the first month.

any ideas? this is Virginia. good old boy land.

deadcarp    Posted 02-17-2004 at 04:16:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
the first rule is eminent domain - if it's not your land it's somebody elses so it's up to them to obey the law and your voice prevails to your property line. in other words if you want things a certain way, buy them. :)

Butch    Posted 02-16-2004 at 19:44:49       [Reply]  [No Email]
You might want to do some checking before you get too many goverment officals snooping around. I believe that your system does not constitute a safe drinking water supply accourding to those who protect us from ourselves around here. Depends on your local laws and how your local authorities work on such you could end up having a new sytem anyway. A neighbor sold his place and the buyers went FHA. He had to drill a well and abandon his spring before FHA would finance. The clean water act requires the developer to have a storm water plan in place before they start to move dirt, then they must built a containment pond in some cases. They will also be required to insatll silt fence, which is a joke. Plan on having to stand gaurd and getting to know your EPA rep real well. Developers are known for side stepping spending money for these things in any way they can, plus if the developer happens to be one of the politicaly connected,, well that's sure to start an arguement. Even if they do it right I would be suspicious of my water quality after the homes are built. I think you are in for some changes no matter what but i hope for the best for you.

buck    Posted 02-16-2004 at 18:59:43       [Reply]  [No Email]

Virginia has some good stormwater management regulations. First stay close to your local officials and make sure they are aware of your concerns. Put everything in writing for future reference/proof.If the development will have streets untimately maintained by VDOT then they will be part of the review process so make sure they are aware of your concerns.The department of conservation and recreation DCR is the main are of the soil and erosion program so copy them wth all correspondence. Insist that the developer address your spring and include it in his Erosion and siltation along with his plan to protect it from E&S and the increased stormwater runoff generated by his development. Take plenty of pictures of you spring and property before the development begins and then as things change. Probably good to copy all correspondence to your local repersentative and senator. The lawyer is a good idea.

steve19438    Posted 02-16-2004 at 18:34:13       [Reply]  [Send Email]
you say you have a springhouse? to me a springhouse implies that you have a underground water source that flows into the springhouse. if your springhouse depends on runoff we would call that a cistern around here. if you have a undeground sorce of water then i would think the runoff could be diverted away from your "springhouse". if you depend on runoff as a water supply you should have legal rights to that water, spend the money and contact a lawyer.

TO35    Posted 02-16-2004 at 18:08:02       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'd check with a lawyer....then you'll know your rights

Best wishes

TB    Posted 02-16-2004 at 18:34:17       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes and also call the DEP Department of Enviremental Protection. Or your stats equivelent. Thay may also have some info

TB    Posted 02-16-2004 at 18:34:11       [Reply]  [No Email]
Yes and also call the DEP Department of Enviremental Protection. Or your stats equivelent. Thay may also have some info

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community