Country Living
Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community
Message Board
Country Topics
Trading Post
Memory Lane
Country Skills
Country Cooking

The Kitchen

Photo Gallery
Vintage Photos
Special Collections

Country Humor
Country Sounds
Coloring Book
Interactive Story

Farm Tractors
Tractor Parts
Tractor Manuals

Classic Trucks
Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Discussion Topics
To add your comments to this topic, click on one of the 'Reply' links below.

Use of the word TORGE
[Return to Topics]

T D in Tennessee    Posted 02-17-2004 at 12:04:19       [Reply]  [No Email]
was reading the one about using Rs and not using Rs and it made me think of my favorite country word. That one is TORGE. For example when people have a near death experience, they go torge the light. Another good one is Fur. You can plow a fur or it can be a fur piece to somewhere. But if you are talking about an animal's skin, its a fur hide. Also is anyone familiar with the term ham of meat and middlin of meat? Just wondering

rhudson    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:43:40       [Reply]  [Send Email]
i think in our area"toward" would be "tord" with a d sound not a g sound as in your example. "water" is "wader" just use a lazy tongue movement and you'll get the proper sound. the classic mistake it the ya'll thing. we NEVER use yall when talking to or implying a singular person. it's a contractive for "you all" plural and of course "house" is "huse" again no use to move that tongue, lips or cheeks anymore than necessary.

Steve from TN    Posted 02-17-2004 at 14:26:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Hollywood has us using y'all for the singular. I have never heard an honest to goodness southerner use it for one person. But I don't get out much. grin

Cindi    Posted 02-18-2004 at 02:19:52       [Reply]  [No Email]
You guys are so right. I hate it when they do that, and I have never heard anyone say ya'll in reference to one person either. It's short for 'you all'.

Alias    Posted 02-17-2004 at 12:55:03       [Reply]  [No Email]
Here's one for ya. An Adult man's name is prefixed by the abbrevation Mr., which is short for Mister. Before Ms came into use, and even today the prefix for married women is Mrs., which is short for Mistress. But, on more than a few occassions, I have heard people in the south refer to married ladies as miseries., which is also short for Mrs. Now, being from the south, I would point out that trends have changed a lot since I was a younger. But, I imagine if one travelled into the more remote area, one might still hear it used.

Gene SC    Posted 02-17-2004 at 12:39:38       [Reply]  [No Email]
Middlin'Meat is still used around here by the old timers. Never heard the word "Torge ???

Steve from TN    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:27:44       [Reply]  [No Email]
I have heard "torge" used for "toward", but never thought about it.

Alias    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:40:07       [Reply]  [No Email]
Of course, Steve, One who is near to dying is going torge the light. Make sense now. When I read it above, I was thinking about a lamp.

I married a near-bout northern girl who knew nothing of the mountain ways. So, on her first visit to my home, we visited my uncle Charley.
During our visit, Charley said, "I"ve got a bay up in the holler that'll go 2000 and takes a size 6.

When we left, my wife said, I don't want to appear stupid but what was your uncle talking about? Now, can anyone that reads this tell me what Uncle Charley meant? I'll give you a clue; Charley was a lumberman.

sdg    Posted 02-17-2004 at 14:21:00       [Reply]  [No Email]
I'll take a jab, A horse up in the field that can haul 2000lbs and takes a size 6 horse shoe?

Joe Dirt    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:51:10       [Reply]  [No Email]
my guess... a horse? a big one at that

Alias    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:57:26       [Reply]  [No Email]
Joe, you're on the right tract. It is a big horse. Soooo, what else?

Paula    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:43:27       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Laugh if you will but I thought he was talking about a
bear up in the hollow and how much it would weigh
and what shot it would take to get it. That's the best I
can do.

remember, I'm a foreigner.

deadcarp-lol    Posted 02-17-2004 at 18:24:42       [Reply]  [No Email]
i can see i now -

"might wanna traipse up thataway charley - some furrin woman witha shotgun is up thar bar huntin"

yep - hee hee

ROTFLMAO! Paula    Posted 02-18-2004 at 05:25:33       [Reply]  [Send Email]
Thanks for my first good laugh at work this morning.


Alias    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:53:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
Good try but no. Think a little harder. ...gfp

T D in Tennessee    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:18:51       [Reply]  [No Email]
not middlin meat, but a middlin OF meat and a ham OF meat

Alias    Posted 02-17-2004 at 13:49:43       [Reply]  [No Email]
T.D. that one's easy. To the old timers, a hog was cut in to six major pieces. They were 2 shoulders, 2 hams and the part that connected the front to the back which they often referred to as Middlin meat. It could be called bacon or side meat or fatback. The ham meat was a term used to distinguish hams from shoulders. Now, they, the oldtimers, used some un-neccessary words but if you lived around them long enough, you learned to accept their style of talking.

T D in Tennessee    Posted 02-17-2004 at 14:58:27       [Reply]  [No Email]
hey alias been there done that. we used to butcher our own hogs that we raised. but anyway, never heard of a shoulder OF meat. just a thought. another good local word is fawsup. don't know if that is spelt right but it is as close to the actual pronunciation as I can get. anyone know what a fawsup is?

[Return to Topics]

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community