|The woodburning cookstove shown here was purchased in 1936 by Tillman and Beulah Peters of Utica, Kansas when they started their married life together. The stove is a 'Cavalier #218' by Sears, Roebuck & Company. The firebox is to the left side of the stove and a water reservoir is to the right side. There is a removable ash drawer that pulls out for dumping.|
The stove is now owned by the eldest son of the Peters', and is installed in a 'warm room' of a workshop, where such delicacies as goose stew are cooked up on occasion.
While greenbeanman, the youngest son of the Peters', was growing up, a 'Perfection' oil stove had replaced the Cavalier. The woodburner was installed in an outbuilding made of native limestone, appropriately call the 'Stone House.' The stove was mainly used for rendering lard in it's later years.
As a sidebar, the Stone House was used to house a 32 volt DC electrical system which consisted of large glass batteries and a gasoline powered generator. This system was replaced by Rural Electrification in the 1950's.