Molasses - any amount will do, depends upon how much taffy you want to make! You can start with a 1/2 pint or so (about the amount you get when you buy a bottle at the store). Use dark or light molasses.
1. Boil the molasses until it makes a hard ball when a little piece is dropped in a dish of cold water.
2. Wait until the molasses is cool enough to handle, then butter your hands (important!).
3. Start by pulling the wad of molasses into a long stick.
4. Then bend the stick in half and bring the two ends together. Twist the two halves together like a rope.
5. Pull each end of the taffy, stretching it out. This is when a second person comes in real handy and makes it fun!
6. Continue bending in half, twisting and pulling (as in 3,4,5 above) until the taffy turns a cream color.
7. When the color is light, you're done! Pull into a rope, take scissors and cut the rope into pieces of taffy about 2 inches long. Wrap each little piece in a piece of wax paper.
Submitted By: Kim from WA on 2000-08-31