Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A little about me

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by SteveB on March 04, 2004 at 11:01:27 from (12.160.1.185):

Grew up on a small farm (50 acres) in NE MI and was blessed with parents that supported me in any crazy hobby I was willing to try. Had honey bees in the front yard, grew sorghum in the garden and pressed thru a ringer washer, made a little maple syrup, dabbled a little in taxidermy, ran cross country and track, had my own beef cows. Helped dad farm with a JD A and Moline Z.

Graduated from Mich. St. in 1984 with an engineering degree and moved to NE IL where I got my first and still current job with the engineering degree. Married my wife the fall of that year. Two kids born Jan. 1989.

Bought my farm (108 acres) in the spring of 1991. Most people told me to tear the old farmhouse down but there is something about old houses that wouldn't let me do that. I completely gutted the house and rebuilt it, including jacking up and pouring new foundation under a third of it. Still have some work to do - don't have any carpet yet and some trim work to do, but every spring I'm reminded about the carpet thing when it becomes the season of mud.

I had set a goal that within 5 years I wanted to be farming again so in 1994 I started buying equipment. Bought an IH 1066 that winter, an IH 18' 480 disk, 800 6RN planter, and IH "M" grain drill. Rebuilt and repainted the planter and drill that winter in the garage. Planted 15 acres of corn and 5 acres hay/pasture that spring. Took over the rest of the farm the following spring.

Was able to pick up another 107 acres to rent when a neighbor I had been helping suddenly passed away in 1998. So I now farm approximately 200 acres and still have the engineering job.

I was the newcomer to the neighborhood in 1991. Everyone knew who I was, (the fool working on the old house) and I knew no one. I was welcomed into the neighborhood and most offered to help if I needed any. Now I find with the urban sprawl, I am doing more of the offering with plowing driveways or pulling someone out of a ditch.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A little about me

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community