Country Talk Discussion Board|
Re: Sewer gas causing corrosion on circuit boards copper pipes
[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]
Posted by Red Dave on March 06, 2002 at 11:49:04 from (18.104.22.168):
In Reply to: Sewer gas causing corrosion on circuit boards copper pipes posted by kane ken on March 06, 2002 at 00:25:46:
Just a little info from my NIOSH Chemical book.
Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) also known as Hydrosulfuric Acid and Sewer Gas. Colorless gas with a strong odor of rotten eggs.
OSHA exposure limit of 10 parts per million over an 8 hour workday, that's a concentration of 0.001%. Imediately dangerous to life and health at 300 PPM. It also is flammable and even explosive at concentrations as low as 4%.
If I remember correctly from some classes I took, most people don't notice the odor until it gets to around 20 or 30 PPM. That means if you can smell it, you are already over the limit for long term exposure. It is bad stuff, not to be fooled around with.
So, yes it will corrode metals. It will also kill you if you get a good enough dose of it.
Could she have a sink trap that dried out? Is the floor drain in the basement connected to the sewer system? This may sound crazy, but does she have any wet cell batteries around? We had a case at work where a battery on an uninteruptible power supply for a computer leaked. It had that same rotten egg/sulpher smell.
Sorry for the long reply, hope it helps some.
Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community