Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: A Revelation

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by JDK on June 19, 2004 at 08:42:06 from (64.91.85.143):

In Reply to: Re: A Revelation posted by eg on June 19, 2004 at 07:15:11:

It is difficult for small operator as they become so familiar with their animals.I grew up on a family dairy farm.We had 30-40 head all of which were named,not numbered and were as familiar as friends on the street.Each cow had it's own stall with a name card above and they knew which one was theirs when returning from pasture.This used to fascinate non-cow folks to no end.Each animal had it's own personality and looking out at the pasture you could say"Jingles is actin frisky today,or Blackies limping..etc.It was always a stressful time when culling a non-producer,injured or aged cow or when one died,but I grew up to realize that it too was part of the"necessary" part of the business.
Nowadays I see the big corporate farms,hundreds of cows,being milked around the clock.No names just a number tag,no"personal" stall,just a gathering pen if they're not chained up 24/7 like a row of milk making machines,easily replaced if they wear out or break down and wonder if these"farmers" many of who commute to work,have any consideration for the anumals at all.God/Nature/The Grand Scheme/Great Spirit etc gave humans dominion over the animals however, how we choose to excersize our superiority is for us each to determine.In such a case as Cindi originally posted we must"see" the whole picture,but do not need to participate in parts of it.Perhaps the auction barn should be eschewed in lieu of private sales/farm auctions.For me at least,it is easier to see the animal leave in a dealers truck or be delivered as ordered than to participate in that facet of the process.JMHO/Sorry for the length.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: A Revelation

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community