Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Pole Building ?

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by screaminghollow on June 21, 2004 at 19:58:54 from (67.131.150.124):

In Reply to: Pole Building ? posted by James Apple on June 21, 2004 at 12:36:12:

It definitely depends on a lot of things. Your climate, size of overhang, the type of wood, drainage, treatment etc.
I've taken notice that many barns with overhangs, are suported by verticle posts set on concrete or stone pillar bases about two feet high.
I have run into some locust fence posts set in dirt. The last fence posts placed before I moved here were set by old man keener, who had a stroke in 1962. Those posts are some wore away, but solid as a rock in the ground. I was in a hurry to set a post and used a 5x6 piece of oak. It rotted off at ground level in 8 yrs, even though I coated the part below ground with roofing cement. Poplar isn't worth a hoot when in contact with the ground, but I used some seasoned barked poplar saplings as fence rails 5 yrs ago, and they have held up so far, but I know they'll fail in another year or two.
Pressure treated seems to hold up prettywell. I insisted on a two foot overhang around the barn roof, and I think things are less humid in the barn. I also have goos drainage away from the barn. During the first year, the drainage kept the water laying next to the barn wall and puddles would well up on the dirt floor after a heavy rain. Graded differently and that changed totally.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Pole Building ?

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community