Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for Dominiques

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Tom A on March 27, 2002 at 05:29:47 from (

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Looking for Dominiques posted by Paul Spencer on March 27, 2002 at 05:06:32:

I think it has something to do with numbers of eggs and also expected attrition. 6 hens will give you an average of about 4 eggs a day--probably more than you can eat yourself, but not enough to sell any. Plus, 'the books' all say you can expect about 10% losses fairly quickly. That's a lot higher than our experience, but we may have been lucky.

Last week the better half told me it was time to re-furbish the second old coop on our property because she wants to expand. We started with 15 chicks several years ago, the minimum Clearview would mail; they were exclusively pets. But just through word-of-mouth they started paying their own way from egg sales without any hassle. We gradually increased the numbers and demand for local free-range eggs is going through the roof. I don't want to be a chicken farmer exclusively either, but they find most of their own food for about 6 months of the year and pretty well take care of themselves...and it is fun to watch the cats all steer wide circles around them because they are scared of the hens! :-)

Good luck whatever you do!

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for Dominiques

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community