Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Horse/Cattle parasites

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by screaminghollow on April 15, 2002 at 22:11:29 from (

In Reply to: Horse/Cattle parasites posted by Sned on April 15, 2002 at 16:57:29:

Some oltimers put black gun powder in dogs food for worms. A vet told me it would just give the dog a belly ache. Diamotaceous Earth (sp?) is some fossilized shell powder which sharp edges which is supposed to be a good "organic" wornmer. It will also kill some garden pests.
The diagnosis for worms in horses in that one post sounds like colic, which is often fatal to horses and not always caused by worms. In the mid atlantic states we got hit hard by Potomac horse fever last year which is caused by some little parasite in slugs or snails. We lost our best mare last year. we treated the fever but she got fever founder before the fever came down. She just got worse and we had to "put her down." Deer, possums, wild fowel and other critters carry all kinds of parasites that can be "dropped" in a pasture. So it is best to worm every three to four months anyway. I would rotate wormers. Safegard, then ivermectin, then safegard then moxidectin and so on. My vet says the pyrantel wormers aint't worth "droppings" When they are scratchin their butts or other parts that they are wearin off the hair, they need wormed. Don't worm just one, worm everybody in the pasture or they will just reinfect each other.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Subject: Re: Re: Horse/Cattle parasites

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community