Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: raising pigs

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Old Coot on September 07, 2004 at 15:42:40 from (66.115.197.179):

In Reply to: raising pigs posted by tim in pa on September 07, 2004 at 13:21:32:

Well i raise hogs and you can make some money on them but not a killer profit by any means unless you top out the market. I do what you talk of i have about 40 sows and gilts and i raise them to around 45 pounds and they go to the sale barn with them. I do alright with them then again i have no high tech opertation. Just an old barn with farrowing pens built in it no crates just pens. i lose a few more piglets then the big guys but the sows give me plenty. In the summer and spring i let them farrow on pasture. I raise them all the old fashion ways. For feed i just grind shelled corn hog protein and alfalfa in my John Deere 400 grinder and they do fine. They dont need any high priced commerical feed. They are very tough and rugged hogs and you can tell they are stout and strong and will with stand any weather. They are real hogs. My feeders actually fetch more at a sale barn then any big time farmers hogs because mine are "Outdoor Pigs"...I dont make a killing but i do alright. I would say go for it. But i would have at least 10 sows or gilts or else it wouldnt be worth the time. And if your herd is that small i would think about using A.I. instead of paying to feed a boar.

Good Luck and happy farming
Old Coot

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: raising pigs

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community