Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: ????

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by MJ in Sc on October 03, 2004 at 07:57:22 from (67.232.136.254):

In Reply to: ???? posted by Pitch on October 03, 2004 at 05:35:57:

Mornin' Pitch,

It's tough when our kids disappoint us. Remember, your child is only 15 and probably heard alot of negative comments from other kids their age and peer pressure is a really hard thing to handle.

I have been fortunate enough to work with the migrant workers here in SC through a program that our Baptist Association started. We have a Spanish speaking pastor come in on Sunday afternoon to preach a sermon to anyone who'd like to attend, and there are English classes on Thursday for anyone interested....no cost involved. We also have missionaries here that are "go betweens" for the migrants, especially for those that don't speak English well. I have to admit, I really enjoyed working with the migrant workers and teaching conversational English. I learned that most of the families are here to work and send money home to remaining members of the family. Many times the father is here in U.S. and the rest of the family remains home. He can make SO much more money and his family is so much better off financially, but I sure can't imagine not seeing my Dad but one every year or two. Many times the whole family comes to the U.S. I've had the pleasure of meeting a really nice family that I will never forget. Very humble, grateful, honest, giving family. I truely fell in love with the children. We visited them at the migrant camp, ate supper with them, helped with things as we could. We kept in touch for over 5 years when they left the area, but haven't heard from them in some time.

You might want to check and see if there is a similar program of some kind or another in your area where your children and go and help out. It's just a matter of introducing your kiddos to the mirgrant families and letting them realize, for themselves, that when you cut below the skin they're just regular folks too.

Glad to see that your the type of parent that is concerned over these things....so many parents these days just are parents.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: ????

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community