Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: Federal Airtight Woodstove

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Rob on October 17, 2004 at 05:19:40 from (24.99.152.65):

In Reply to: Re: Federal Airtight Woodstove posted by Joyce Frank on September 30, 2004 at 03:17:13:

I have had a Federal Airtight for about 20 years. I'm not living in the house where it is located now. I'll tell you what I remember about it's operation.
The stove can be used for wood or coal. When using it for coal the cast iron grates need to be installed, forming a hopper inside the firebox. When burning wood, remove these. My stove had 3 air vents. One in front in the ash bin door, use this during initial startup of fire. I sometimes just opened the ash door a little to get the fire started faster. The second air vent is a large brass disc on the side loading door. This is used to regulate how hot/fast the wood will burn. The third damper is a smmal brass disc on the side toward the top. It is used to add fresh air to the catalytic converter to aid in full combustion of flue gases. Open this a little once the fire is hot and the cat con is engauged. The large black handle is use to control the use of the catalytic converter. I don't remember which direction is in-line and by-pass. I do remember that when the catalytic converter is in-line the handle 'clicks' into place. You should only engage the cat con after the fire is well established. My stove had a small thermometer in the center of the cooktop. Whe it reached 500 degrees, it was OK to engauge the cat con. With the cat con in-line the stove will really start to heat the room. The stove design circulates the flue gases within the stove prior to exhausting up the chiminey when the cat con is engauged. The actual catalytic converter is located under the cooktop. You should always disengague the catcon whenever any of the doors are opened, otherwise you will fill the room with smoke. It doesn't take many times to remember this. As far as loading wood, I found that the side door was best. when you load through the front, the ashes would fall out or get lodged in the gasket, making it difficult to close the front doors. Leave the front doors closed. You may also notice 2 black stubs on the side, similar in shape to the damper controls. Thes are used to shake the ashes when burning coal. There is limited use for these when burning wood. The front upper corners of the stove should have vent screens. You may have an optional blowere fan which bolts onto the back of the stove to force clean room air through the stoves inner cavity and out of these vents..
Hope this helps,
-Rob-

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Federal Airtight Woodstove

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community