Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: '96 Dodge Ram 3500

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Joe in Tennessee on April 26, 2002 at 21:50:19 from (12.107.230.36):

In Reply to: '96 Dodge Ram 3500 posted by Dale (MI) on February 17, 2002 at 08:14:06:

I've got a 96 4X4 Ext Cab Turbo Diesel 5 sp. The truck has been well kept but has been in the shop a couple of times for transmission problems. First, 5th gear goes out as with many of the 2500 and 3500 series. Costs about 500 dollars to have fixed. I've had it done once but some I know have had it done 3 times. There is a design change to a locking bolt which keeps 5th gear engaged. Of coarse, my truck was 400 miles out of warranty to I ate that cost. Design change to fix....My cost...Think about it.
Then, I had the transmission seaze up. Come to find out that the tranny was leaking in small amounts only when running (no puddle under truck) and ran out of oil. In talking to a Dodge mechanic, I found out that the clutch pilot bearing used a 300 degree grease and would cook out of the bearing thus wearing the bearing and making the transmission input shaft wobble slightly. That wears out the front seal and the transmission leaks....again, only when running down the road. Normally, it gets oil on the clutch causing slipping so you only get hit with a 1000 dollar bill for a new clutch, but I'm not 1000 dollar lucky...New tranny and clutch. 4000 bucks. Come to find out there is a new pilot bearing (same actually but using a 1200 degree temp grease) which is installed with new clutches. Another design change that the consumer is paying the price.
Beautiful truck...Lots of power, but I really don't think I can afford "The Dodge Experience" next time....Not without Vasoline anyway.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: '96 Dodge Ram 3500

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community