Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: ALCAN

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Old Sarge on March 02, 2001 at 19:46:57 from (207.162.171.228):

In Reply to: ALCAN posted by Josef on March 02, 2001 at 11:02:58:

Joseph
The ALCAN Highwat starts in Dawson Creek, British Columbia. That is where the historic milepost 0 stands. At milepost 15 you can stop and visit Lil Putz who comes in on tractor tales once in a while. His real name is Randy Swain. He tells me that the entire route is now a blacktop highway. It has been for many years once you passed Beaver Creek Yukon Territory and entered Alaska. When In finally quit running that route, I did for over 3 years year round, it was well maintained. Of course it was a grerat deal of gravel, mud in the spring, and so on. We liked to run it better in the winter then because there were fewer tourists to pass us and throw rocks through the headlights, windshields, and radiators. There are some very high mountain passes with beautiful look out spots, and the fishing is unbelieveable. When I say high mountain passes I mean like going up Trutch mountain where you top out at 3800 meters on the road before starting down hill again. The mountain is still higher. Steamboat is another high one but you don't notice it as much because the rate of climb is less, and you start from a higher elevation. Now from the bottom of the climb on Trutch Mtn, it is apporoximately 57 Km to the summit, all uphill with no flat spots.

If you wish more info you can send for the book entitled "The Milepost" published in Canada and sold mostly in Dawson Creek and Ft St. John (50 miles up the road). The last time I bought one 26 years ago it was $4.95 US, but have seen several newer editions.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: ALCAN

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community