Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: 45/70

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Bandersnatch on November 26, 2004 at 08:36:24 from (67.131.150.136):

In Reply to: 45/70 posted by Hawk on November 26, 2004 at 05:26:11:

I have an old H&R Shikari in 45-70 and I use it for deer. I've been thinking about the new Buff Classic, because the sight radius is great and the peep helps these older eyes. The 45-70 can be a real bear for recoil, but is effective on any No American animal. With the big bore, you won't get alot of range without a rainbow trajectory. I've shot quite a bit of long range sillohuettes with a trapdoor Springfield in 45-70. I loaded 55 grains of FFG and a 500 grain all lead slug sized to .457 loaded over a grease cookie. Off the cross sticks, I was able to knock down the steel at 300, 400 and 500 meters. Although my spotter told me that I was actually hitting the ground about thirty yds in front of the rams and the bullets were bouncing into the rams. (Still averaged 4 out of 5) The trigger pull on some of the H&R's can be a bit stiff and there isn't much a gunsmith can do to lighten it. For a $150 to 200 more, you can probably get a Sharps repro in 45-70 with double set triggers. The set triggers are a bit easier to contend with for long range shooting and less flinch from pulling the trigger. My old H&R in 45-70 shoots some really good groups off a bench at 100 yds, but it had a much shorter barrel and very much shorter sight radius. The new Buff Classic ought to do much better. For awhile H&R 1871 had a special so you could get the 38-55 barrel fitted to your 45-70 Buff Classic as well for about $100. check the web site about that deal, There is a lot of reloading stuff available for the 45-70. I still load my shells with a 120 yr old Ideal tong tool.
Recoil from a rifle is something that is lessened by having the rifle fit YOU properly. Most production guns are made for a "average" build hunter. Everyone is different however. Some have longer arms, shorter necks, longer faces etc. The two important things on this issue are not just trigger pull length, but also cast off and drop. Drop, is the distance from the center of the bore to the top of the comb of the butt stock. A trapdoor springfield has little drop and can really slap a person around. Cast off is the amount the butt stock is off center from bore center. This is particuliarly important in trap and skeet shooting, but also has an effect in precision rifle shooting. For a right handed person, the butt stock maybe angled slightly to the right of the bore center. This creates room for the cheek to be placed against the comb and have the sighting eye right in line with the sights with a minimal amount of laying your head over the stock or twisting your neck to get your eye on the sights. Because of the ambidexterous nature of the action, such break open single shot firearms are generally made with no cast off. Cast off is often only a matter of the butt stock being an eighth of an inch off from (length wise)center of the gun.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: 45/70

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community