Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

2 room school house

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by MikeT on December 15, 2004 at 14:57:58 from (70.240.198.188):

Been reading the various educational problems posted here and reflecting back on my grade school which had two rooms, 8 grades, and two teachers.

There were some advantages to that arrangement. First, with 4 grades in one room, kids of one grade would absorb what was being taught to the other grades. That put those that were interested a leap ahead of where they would be otherwise. Basically, you had the same stuff drummed into your head for 4 years!

With the same kids for 4 years and for all classes, the teacher got to know each kid and how to deal with them and get the most out of them.

Also, you got to see the discipline handed out to others in all 4 grades. That definitely had an impact, especially on the younger grades.

I especially remember Friday afternoons when each room would choose up sides and have spelling bees, math games, geography games, and any other educational games the teachers could dream up. We would choose up sides and there were rules that leveled the playing field among the grades. We wanted so desperately to beat the other side!

Anyway, that formed the basis for my math and science background. I went on to a larger high school (200 in one grade!!!) then on to college (after the army) where I majored in Engineering.

Basically, I think the teachers cared so much more back then. I had one in particular that was a very good mentor that I will never forget.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: 2 room school house

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community