Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A Ladies Farm Report

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Fern(Mi) on December 15, 2004 at 18:39:15 from (64.12.116.68):

Drawing whole grain, doing half the chores, making pails for the next feeding, and doing some other numbered odd things lunch looming I see the cows need hay. A whole big bale disappeared over night, their having done a good job hiding it. Bringing them hay, now they’re standing around the water fountain, Checking them out for the latest gossip It seems it had turned into a water cooler (or cooler waterer). Word was, “I’m thirsty!” “It’s my turn!” “Why ain’t we got water?” I had hear it all before, past Winters.
Looking into the mater I opened the fountain to see the bulb had kept the supplu line from freezing. The bowls though were filling slowly, one with a chunk of ice in it. Fortunately between the Sun and the light bulb the bowls supply was starting to open up. A few moments later the water was running freely. In a little while all the cows should have their fill. I figured that’s when I’ll be back. Everybody fed, gates opened and haven tried to move the steers from one pen to another, having given up for ten inche mud to much for my heart, I had somewhere in my morning’s time given in to easier pursuits. One was finding fountain parts. Part and tools in hand, feul drawn into five gallon cans I was on the road again. The fuel situation had been close, my having returned the tractor to the far yard on vapors. Ten minutes bellied up to the new old computer I got nowhere giving it up for lunch.
Lunch over, loaded for fountain repair, the cows gone, I settled in with a turned bucket for a seat and an emptied supplement sack for reasonable outdoor comforts to see what I could do. Blessed I was the cows having satisfied their thirsts. Anything I can’t stand are a bunch of females hovering over me telling me how or showing me how, “I just reach in here, my lip in the bowl and drink!” Yeah, sure. or, with the swing of an intrusive muzzle, “What are these?” and, my hardware is gone. How about one of them drooling down my neck trying for a better know it all look.
Lucking out, I had found the automatic thermostat out of whack. Replacement with carefully removing a hot bulb with a gloved hand, disconnecting the heating circuitry, using a select number of wrenches the job was particularly easily done without my ladies assistance.
My day drawing nigh, a half hour early, I succumbed to doing the chores in daylight. A rare treat around here lately. Steers still unmoved I tried casting them new hay beyond the gate I want them to pass through. Here’s hoping they get hungry enough not to let me down passing through that gate way by morning. I hope!!!
Getting late and starting early in the morning, I have to give this up. Nite-all.
Fernan.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A Ladies Farm Report

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community