Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: 4th of July and Pledge of Allegiance

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by The Rebel on June 27, 2002 at 00:46:41 from (208.8.194.53):

In Reply to: 4th of July and Pledge of Allegiance posted by Kraig WY on June 26, 2002 at 21:26:14:

What I heard on the radio today had to do with a high appellate court judge prohibiting the public schools from requiring the students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance because the phrase "Under God" violated the doctrine of separation of Church and State. I did not hear the whole broadcast, so I do not know the circumstances of the case before the court. It will be interesting to see what the newspaper says about this decision tomorrow morning. Without a doubt, this decision will be reviewed by higher courts, possibly even the Supreme Court.

When this Country was founded, one of the serious questions the persons developing the government had to deal with was whether or not this Country should have a state religion, like most or all of the European countries did. Since many of the first colonists came to what would later become the United States because they wanted to be free to worship as they saw fit, and because they were oppressed for their religious beliefs and practices in Europe, many people absolutely did not want the Government to have any right to say how a person should worship. From this we got the first amendment, which starts: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

I respect the Constitution and agree with the idea of the separation of Church and State. The public schools are certainly part of the government, at one of the most basic levels. Though I personally do not have any problem with the Pledge of Allegiance, I can see where someone who was not a Christian could be offended and believe that their rights under the Constitution were being violated by being forced, or strongly encouraged to recognize the Judeo-Christian deity.

I would be very upset if my child's teacher happened to be a Buddhist, and that teacher had my child praying to Buddha. There are lots of religious groups that have beliefs that I do not subscribe to. If their members are teachers in the PUBLIC SCHOOLS, they had better keep their religious beliefs to themselves.

Like so many other things, the Constitution is a two edged sword: It cuts both ways. And it protects both ways.

The point is: if you wish to recognize God in the Pledge of Allegiance, go ahead. But it is probably Constitutionally wrong for the government, in the form of the public schools to require students to recognize God by saying the Pledge of Allegiance as it now reads.

Pretty long winded for an old Reb, wasn't I?

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: 4th of July and Pledge of Allegiance

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community