Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: a extensive list needed.

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Spence on August 01, 2002 at 06:13:04 from (216.209.185.94):

In Reply to: a extensive list needed. posted by Heidi Redmon on July 31, 2002 at 02:11:33:

You would need to start with staples like
DC says, flour sugar coffee etc. These you could store and keep for a year. Denise likes to store them in those 3 gal cans you get at k-Mart and have popcorn in them. They are made to look like
milk cans and have a painted country scene for each season. They are usually sold just prior to christmas. We've been using them for 6 years
and never lost a batch using them. She says they look "cute" (Ahhhemmm!) sitting on the counter.

(Gotta tell ya...One day I left my carburetor from my pickup sitting on the end of the kitchen counter. I intended to go down to the parts place that afternoon. She said "get that out of my kitchen, yesterday". I forgot. Big mistake. I found it in the snowbank next morning. Good think it just snowed so it was easy to find. Well, I thought it looked cute sitting there too).

For veggie storage wall off and insulate a section of cool basement area where you never get a temperature lower than 35F. Use this area to store potatoes rootcrops and other keepables. You'll need straw to bury them in. I made bins that swivel out for storing bulk veggies.

Excellent reading you get with John Vivien's books on homesteading. Mother Earth magazine has
good hints too, but they have changed and are leaning more on the city gardener topics rather than the homesteader topics. I guess they print what sells. Harrowsmith magazine too. If you want to really "get down and dirty" into homesteading and I mean 1800's type of homesteading, self sufficiency books by John Schumacher will be interesting read. He covers cheese making,canning,
jam making,butter,leather tanning,and whatever else you want to do.

If you intend on animal raising start small on one kind and work your way up. If you try to take on too much at once, you'll get discouraged quickly. Each animal will present it's own problems.

Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: a extensive list needed.

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community