Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Motkin on November 20, 2006 at 17:51:30 from (64.24.236.105):

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re posted by Mary on October 28, 2006 at 21:23:32:

hello. I have a problem, as most of the people on here do. I have two dogs, one a medium-sized terrier/poodle mix and one small poodle. Despite size, they enjoy chasing and killing our chickens very much. A few weeks ago my favorite chicken was killed and I am rather ornery about the whole thing. One thing that we do is put the dogs away in the afternoon, let the chickens out, and then when the chickens go to bed in their pen for the night we close them up and let the dogs out. It works alright, but I don't think it's enough for the chickens. I would prefer it if both chickens AND dogs could be let out all day. Then the dogs could protect the chickens. Also, I have another problem: most of my chickens are bantams (very small chickens and a very bad move on our part). So I can see how they are so tempting to chew on for the dogs. One thing I want to try is to put the dogs one at a time on leashes and bring them into the coop with the chickens. When they go for one I will swat them, hard enough that they remember it but not at all abuse (like SOME people we know of might think of it as- no offense). It's just an idea from a nearly-thirteen-year-old.... anyone else want to argue a little less and brainstorm here?? We're all here to help each other, right? Then by all means LET'S USE OUR BRAINS AND THINK! As that one guy said a little while ago, let's try to help each other with new ideas! Anyone else have one to add? (the beating the dogs with the chicken or tying it around the dog's neck is great and all... but I don't exactly want to wait until my dogs kill another chicken or have to kill one myself to train them... we've got only 18 left and several are just roosters and we need the eggs...)

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community