Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Julie on December 26, 2006 at 13:23:56 from (66.37.232.4):

In Reply to: Re: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens posted by Kasi on November 03, 2006 at 21:07:19:

I need to find a way for the dogs to leave my chickens alone!!!!!
On Christmas day, my most favorite dog (2 year old mini Schnauzer whom I call my little boy) somehow got under the fence to the chickens and harassed my chickens. One hen got killed and my favorite rooster is injured pretty badly. (We had to separate him from the other chickens because they would peck at his wound and make it worse.)Feathers everywhere!! The 2 dogs we have are house dogs and are let outside to roam free on our 13 acre farm on a routine schedule. We have had the chickens now for 4 months. We are first time chicken owners. They are beautiful birds and we are proud of them and the sucess we have had in raising them. We have done all our homework before we got them. We got them for egg laying and some to butcher for eating. It just makes me mad that my dog that is fed well and cared for just for fun goes and tears up the chickens. I know I am going to butcher some of them sometime for food for my family and I, but at least then they would die quickly at butchering time and not suffer like the way the dog did it!
Now my dog has to be on a tie out and we have to come up with a better chicken fence to keep the chickens in. Because my dog is on a tie out now, I have to spend less time with my chores and training my horses now to make sure my dogs get enough exercise now since they do not have free roam of the farm to burn off extra energy, like they were able to do for the last 3 years!!! If dogs do not get the exercise they need, they develope behavioral problems. Just watch Cezar Milan on Animal Planet or the History channel. He will tell you that dogs with lack of exercise develope some sort of problem.
I really need a resolution to this problem!! I love my chickens and love my little dog.
What do I do? I don't want to get rid of the chickens or the dogs.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community