Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

About moving pigs..

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Cindi on January 10, 2003 at 03:53:05 from (172.162.135.43):

I had to move a boar across an open pasture about a quarter acre in size, and before it was over he had inspected every square inch of it. Moving him the first time was a cinch. He was going in with three gilts to breed them. Moving him back was another story. My son Jake said I was doing it all wrong with the bait technique and that all I had to do was lasso him, even though he had never helped move a pig before he had all the answers. The last thing I needed was a thirteen year old who knew everything except how to follow directions.

My son's friend was fond of the squirrel technique. Run in real fast, chatter wildly at the pig until he got his attention and then run for the nearest tree. Jillian my oldest, tried sweet talking him. She got him in a corner and petted and cajoled until she lost her patience and screamed at him, sending him off on another tangent. My youngest, Jennifer, leaned against a fence post and laughed at us.

Finally what got his attention was a bucket of sweet feed. I had him going in the right direction, the kids were in place and actually helping, and I got hit with a none too subtle call of nature. Here I was, backing down the chute with my legs crossed, praying that he would get his big old rump far enough in the gate so that the kids could swing it closed.

Finally he just kind of sighed, brushed past me and went straight to his pen and his waterer. I knew at that moment I had been had. He had known all along what I wanted from him and I had assumed that he was confused and frightened and didn't know what was expected of him.

The second I got his pen door secured, the kids took off like wind in a smoke tunnel. I crossed the pasture to the house, legs still crossed, adjusting to the fact that I had been outsmarted by a pig. One hour to move about thirty yards. Yeah, he got me.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: About moving pigs..

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community