Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: Re: Re: About moving pigs..

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Cindi on January 10, 2003 at 21:29:20 from (152.163.188.225):

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: About moving pigs.. posted by Bob/Ont on January 10, 2003 at 19:54:45:

You know I haven't had any bad experiences with any of our boars yet.....but....our boar Bear scares me for reasons I can't quite explain. Hercules is a red Duroc boar, and when I look in his eyes I see this dum de dum de dum dum type pig that would climb in your lap I think if he could. Sweet as sugar pie. Even at 700 lbs or so. However, I have also seen him pick up a five hundred pound sow under the rear end and toss her across the breeding pen like a wet bed sheet. Do I want to turn my back on him? Uh uh.

Porky, the one we just had put down due to a broken leg was also seemingly harmless and he was just about a year old so still had a lot of growing to do. He's the one that we had to move that day. Big old dog was what he acted like.

Now Bear. He's got this look in his eye like there's a lot going on in his head. Like he's thinking things. Things that are not nice. He was fully mature when we got him and maybe it's just the look of experience, I don't know, but I also don't know all the details of his history either so I take exactly zero chances with him. Unlike Herc or Porky, we do not go in his pen with him at any time. He must be moved first if we need to do any maintenece or repairs, using a chute system. Sows and gilts come to him to be bred, not the other way around. If he needs a shot, we bait him to the fence and give it to him through the fence. Caution is the word with Bear. Fred got that same instinct when he first interacted with the pig so it's unanimous.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About moving pigs..

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community