Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A few questions on butchering hogs

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by SteveB on February 21, 2003 at 04:38:45 from (12.160.1.185):

I will be doing a hog roast in a couple of weeks and it seems the only local slaughter house that had a scalder has gone out of business. So I get to set up a scalder and buther the thing my self. Was planning on using a 55 gallon drum. How hot should the water be and how long do I let him soak? The pig will be about 110 lbs.

I have butchered quite a few hogs in the past and shooting and sticking them is always the worst of the job. Seems it always takes more than 1 shot to put the hog down and as I've never seen it done the right way I cut him from ear to ear to get him to bleed out. Is there a cleaner way to "stick" him so as to not make such a mess out of him?

As for putting him down, I thought about trying electrocution. If I clamp a wire to each ear and run 110V at 30A to it will this be enough to put him down or will it just make him mad?

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A few questions on butchering hogs

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community