Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: About defining a farmer.......

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Ron/PA on February 22, 2003 at 15:50:12 from (65.206.78.103):

In Reply to: About defining a farmer....... posted by Cindi on February 22, 2003 at 11:53:32:

Define a farmer,,, Hmmmmmm,,,
Alot of time has been spent here in the last few days, debating a who is and isn't a farmer.
I have to wonder who could ever define this strange critter.
Grandfathered in? Yep that's me, and my whole family, but we hardly constitute farmers in the monetary sense, we all work jobs off the farm. Moved to the farm, yep a neighbor moved from long Island and works his greenhouses all day every day!
DOES IT MATTER? I guess it does to some folks, but I'm not sure why!
A lifelong friend of our family is a huge dairy farmer in Ohio, Dairy farmer of the year several years running, when we get together, there is so little agricultural talk that you would never know that there was a bale of hay between us, however when the midwest was in a severe drought, we sent 2 trailer loads of hay to them without his asking. When we had a bad year he sent a trailer load of corn to our feed mill to credit our feed supply.
Having said that, I have met a couple of New Englanders, on this site that seem to farm Maple trees for a main crop, Having never met Salmoneye, or Les, I have gotten more information from them and never heard one complaint, about my questions, nor have they made one rude or derogatory remark about my lack of knowledge.
I don't know how to define a farmer to suit the educated world, I do know how I define a farmer in my neighborhood, I would do it this way,
A FARMER IS:
The neighbor that stole my corn picker and returned it 2 days later, with all the elevator flights repaired.
The neighbor that found out that my baler was broken and just parked his in my yard (hooked to my tractor) while I was at work.
The new guy in the valley that knew that I was away for a funeral, and raked and baled, and mowed my hay before I got home.
I know that this is not a definition that you are looking for, but I just don't know how to define a farmer by acreage, income, hard work, or attitude.
I hope someday you meet the "TRUE" farmers in your area, they will be the greatest treasure you will ever hold short of your family.
Sorry for butting in
Ron

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: About defining a farmer.......

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community