Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: What Kind of Dog to Get???

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Clover Honey on July 31, 2001 at 07:14:36 from (155.100.102.186):

In Reply to: What Kind of Dog to Get??? posted by Karen on July 30, 2001 at 09:55:57:

Karen, I got to add my vote to the many for mutts. I've worked with a lot of dogs, and mutts usually had the best tempraments and fewest health problems. Try to get a mutt who's a mix of 2 or more breeds you like the traits of...this seems to give you each breed's good traits, and neutralize any bad breed-specific tendencies. It sounds loco, but that's what I've observed.

Me and Dell think alike when it comes to cow dogs. Any of the herding breeds (mixed, of course) make wonderful farm pets. I have a blue heeler / welsh corgi mix, and she is the best dog I've ever had. Great with my neices pestering her. Heelers have a reputation as biters, but not all are.

I also agree that a rescued dog often gives you more loyalty and love than one that's always had it easy. Don't buy into the theory that there must be something wrong with a dog if someone got rid of him. The pounds and breed rescue shelters are filled with great dogs that were victims of circumstance (people moving, having kids, too busy, too stupid, lazy...oh, sorry, I got off track there!) But do take a hard look and interact with the dog a lot before you take him home - some do have problems. And most pounds WILL let you return a dog within a week or 2 if he doesn't work out.

Unless you have a lot of time and patience, an adult dog is your best bet. Puppies NEED to be trained - even if they are to live outside, you still have to teach them manners. You're never sure how they'll turn out. An adult dog is a known quantity, once you get to know each other.
Good Luck,
CH

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: What Kind of Dog to Get???

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community