Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Drinking Pond Water

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Hal/WA on May 01, 2003 at 17:06:11 from (208.8.194.24):

In Reply to: Drinking Pond Water posted by Robert on May 01, 2003 at 08:39:18:

I love your setting! Wish I had a body of water that lasted all year on my property.

I would certainly use water from the pond for everything except drinking. You could filter it a little to get the big stuff out, like sand and organic material. But it costs quite a bit to deal with possible bacteria and other microbial contamination. And it only takes once to really make a person a believer in drinking only safe water--giardia is probably the most common problem, but there could be all sorts of others. They can make you extremely sick. A friend of mine got giardia on a backpacking trip and lost 40 pounds in 2 weeks and wondered if he was going to die!

How much water do you drink? It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to bring down a couple of gallons from your house, or even from the grocery store that you KNOW is safe. Or you could boil the water you plan to drink. With the possible exception of a shower, all the rest of the water could be used as it comes from the pond.

Another thought: Have you considered using the geothermal heat in your pond to heat your shop? Unless electricity is extremely expensive where you are, I bet you could heat (and cool) your shop at very low cost using a geothermal heat pump. The outside coil would be placed under water, prefferably near the springs for greatest efficiency. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Drinking Pond Water

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community