Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Re: 100 yr. old Oak Tree struck by lightning

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Imogene on June 12, 2003 at 22:03:09 from (68.113.126.203):

In Reply to: Re: 100 yr. old Oak Tree struck by lightning posted by DeadCarp on June 12, 2003 at 21:13:28:

It did cut into the inner bark and the wood (phloem and xylem). It is probably 3" deep. The worst damage is where the limbs begin at the top of the main trunk and I don't have a ladder big enough to climb up to see the extent of the damage , but will in a few days. No , I haven't tried to search intensly over the internet yet. There were some people about an hour away who trimmed all the old oaks for us one time but I don't know if they are still in business. That was about 10 years ago. These people were amazing. They climbed those old oaks with a rope and steel cleats, then with only ropes (regular ropes) swung from limb to limb trimming the limbs and the chain saws were attached to their bodies with ropes. When they were swinging from limb to limb the chain saws were still running. They never cut them off. Once in a while one would cut off. They would restart it right where they were. I have a hard time starting the weedeater on the ground , much less in a tree. It was truly amazing. People were stopping just to watch. Anyway, I appreciate your advice !

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Re: 100 yr. old Oak Tree struck by lightning

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community