Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

4 things that need to change in our country

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Rob on July 24, 2003 at 09:37:31 from (206.154.186.11):

1. LOW INCOME PEOPLE GETTING FREE HEALTH CARE.
We had some lower income ($25000 year, mom stayed home) people living next to us while we were living in town looking for a place in the country. They have 3 kids, plus one on the way. If a kid got sick, they went to the emergency room, hey its free, have another baby, no problem, its free, food...heck get some of that free to. Here's the kicker.... 1999 Ford Expedition sitting the driveway of there duplex, plus 3 4-wheelers in storage at work. I have two kids, would love to have 4 or 5, I pay $385/month for health insurance on the wife and kids, and that is with $1500 deductable on each one. Last year I paid over $8000 to medical expense. Could have bought some pretty nice stuff with that? Guess who is paying for their health care, food, and toys, yea ME!

2. GOVERMENT WASTE
I work in the contracting industry, most of my dealing are with the state highway dept. Our tax dollers are just being pissed away on un-needed very expensive "ideas" thought up by the dept. of roads engineers. I could write pages on what a joke it is. And its not just my state, I've worked in 7 different states and its just a joke. I can only imagine what the federal goverment is like.

3. Enviromental Quality(i.e. Nebraska Department of Enviromental Quality)
I'm all for keeping our earth clean, but these people are nuts! Logic plays no part in thier decisions, this can make your life miserable.

4. And last but not least, people have got to get some morals back.
I have a theory on why we are losing them, and it is from my own experience. I grew up on a farm and went to a small town high school. Everyone knew everyone. If you did something wrong everyone knew, including your parents. Then I went to college and was in a frat, again my own small little community in a campus of 24,000 students. If you screwed up, someone would let you know. Then I got out of college and was transfered to a large city in the southwest. No one knew anyone, heck you did'nt even know the family next door. If you acted like an idiot, no one said anything, they just acted like nothing was going on. Almost everyone was from somewhere else, no family around for support, advise, or a swift kick in the butt. Now I live out on a small farm again, people know if you skipped church, and how many cattle you just bought. You gotta watch what you do, and say, cause most people are related somehow. I have become much more aware of how I act because I like it here and want to be part of the community.

That is where this country is going wrong. 50 years ago the majority of people were from small communities, and looked out for each other. Now the majority of people live in large metro areas and could care less about the people around them. An they look to the goverment to watch over us all...(enviromental quality,health care,wellfare,ect.ect.ect.)

I don't know the answer to changing this, other than doing what I did. I got the heck out of the large metro area, and I'm raising my kids the way I was raised 30 years ago. But my kids are going to have to put up with a lot worse problems with society than I have.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: 4 things that need to change in our country

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community