Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Tough years of farmin- gettin the best of me

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by The last Generation Farme on August 20, 2003 at 20:24:09 from (207.206.150.154):

My family has roots in farmin since importation from germany- I'm 32, and after 3 rough years of no rain in july and august, I'm depressed. No where else in the world do you have to put in all the sweat, all your savings, moral obligations, then depend on the weather, and to top it off only get paid what chicago board of trade pays you. Its a thankless job, consumers think your killin the enviroment, the money sucks, inputs go up and up, family life is hectic. Try explaining to the family that when the weather is at its best you have work to do, year after year. People are knockin the door off at the landlords to buy their ground to build houses where I farm, Young peolple can't buy because of the inflated value of property. There is absouletly no one my age going into farming so I guess in 20-25 years all that will be left is either mega-farms or little 5 acre tracts with a house. Either the USA will import food like it does oil or pay the big bucks to the mega farm who will control the price. Next time you see a young farmer(or any farmer as that goes) thank him for doin his job. And never think he's got it made- because he don't, Try steppin into their shoes.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Tough years of farmin- gettin the best of me

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community