Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Tough years of farmin- gettin the best of me

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by LeAnn on August 20, 2003 at 23:12:44 from (64.33.137.50):

In Reply to: Tough years of farmin- gettin the best of me posted by The last Generation Farme on August 20, 2003 at 20:24:09:

What you describe is exactly the reason why we have lost the vast majority of our small family dairy farms in Wisconsin. All that's left now is farms that milk hundreds (if not a thousand or more) dairy cows. The small family farms have been broken up and turned into hobby farms and subdivisions.

Earlier this year, they burned down the feed mill in my hometown as a training exercise for the firefighters. Not so terribly long ago, the feed mill was a bustling, thriving business. But no farmers no feed mill.

When I was a kid, my dad didn't have to explain to me that he had to do the field work when the weather was right or that it was necessary to milk the cows twice a day. I was out there working along with him. My dad died 11 years ago, and I'm thankful now for every moment that I had to spend with him.

The only advice I can give to you is to follow your heart. Farming gets into your blood. You can take the farmer off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the farmer.

And thank you for being a farmer! Without farmers, none of us would have anything to eat. As a friend of mine says (she and her husband were dairy farmers before they retired): "if you ate something today, thank a farmer."

LeAnn

author of the book
Christmas In Dairyland (True Stories From a Wisconsin Farm)
http://ruralroute2.com

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Tough years of farmin- gettin the best of me

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community