Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by wildflower on September 10, 2001 at 12:07:30 from (208.157.9.4):

In Reply to: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens posted by Dreamweaver on September 10, 2001 at 05:30:30:

Shock therapy :o) from an electric fence charger would be effective.However,I always followed my mother's breaking technique and beat the dog with the dead chicken till there were few chicken feathers left, while yelling at the dog as loudly and and as mean as I could.It does not hurt them physically as much as it scares them. We never had a repeat offender. Key is to catch the dog in the act and discipline it soundly. Only a few particularly willful dogs will resist this treatment

I came home to my birddog mix having massacred half my flock,years back.Pure instinct.He played with them to death.When one was dead and no longer any fun,he got another one,til he went thru about 10 birds.They were strewn all over the yard.It looked like a satanic ritual had been going on there,when I got home. He was one of my all time favorite dogs.Nevertheless, he still got the beat & yell treatment, and never did that behavior again.

Have used it sucessfully on a few dogs since,as well.

Livestock killing in a dog is a capital punishment that warrents the extreme measures, in my opinion. But certainly not the bullet until you've tried everything else.

I use other training techniques for most dog behavior difficulties,but I resort to physical punishment for this problem,to clear it up once and for all.However, if you have a particularly aggressive pup(and we had a female coon hound that was) use a shocker collar instead.

As in people & kids, each dog has it's own personality and needs to be handled according to that.What works for one will not necessarily work for another.That's why physical punishment,while not my first choice,is always kept as a last resort reserve,if needed,according to my judgement.

I apply the same principle to kids. Never seen alot of difference between them and dogs. :o)

Side note: I no longer free range chickens to avoid all predator problems.They are in a portable pen which we move occassionally. The chickens help fertilize and prepare the garden. That would be my additional recommendation

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: Breaking a Dog from Killing Chickens

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community