Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A new form of freedom in Missouri

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Rickstir on September 12, 2003 at 19:10:13 from (12.105.156.89):

I don't want to start anything with anybody but I can't contain myself on this issue.
After 10 long years, we have finally got a law passed to allow responsible law abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons to protect themselves and their loved ones.
A contriversial issue for sure and it has been a hard fight but we finally have a victory. The legislature voted to override the governor's veto and the law will go into effect in 30 days.
For the record, 36 states now have a "shall-issue" concealed carry law which means if a citizen qualifies the sheriff must issue the permit. Nine other states have a "may-issue" which means only the scheriff's friends and political cronies get a permit. In California, only movie stars and politians get the permits.
The horror predictions of blood in the streets has already begun in St. Louis, Kansas City and Springfield. Every state that has enacted the laws has to weather this hysterical reteric. But history shows this doesn't happen.
History also proves that only about 10 percent of eligible people actually apply for the permits. I will be one of the 10 percent.
History also shows that 100 percent of the crooks carry these weapons in all sorts of places.
The Missouri law also has a marksmanship requirement which is unique to this law. No other state has such a qualification.
So the questions are:
Do you feel safe? Not always as Missouri is the number one producer of methanphenamines and I drive 100 miles through their territory everyday plus several trips into St. Louis city every year.
Do you wear a seatbelt? Yes
Why? In case of an accident.
Do you have insurance? Yes
Why? In case of an accident.
Will you carry a gun? Yes
Why? Better to have and not need that to need and not have.
Are you trained? Yes
Not as much as a active duty special forces person. But I and my wife shoot many more times a month than the average big city policeman.

It's a personal decision, again only 10 percent will make the effort to qualify. I and only I am responsible for my safety. Dialing 911 is false security. The bad guy will not wait for the police to arrive.

Perhaps most important is the fact that a 98 pound woman with a hand gun cancels out a 300 pound rapist.

I for one am pleased that our legislatures had the courage to stand to the task and pass this bill.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A new form of freedom in Missouri

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community