Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: ATV's

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Ludwig on October 26, 2003 at 06:47:41 from (141.154.16.148):

In Reply to: ATV's posted by hay on October 26, 2003 at 03:28:28:

We also had some trouble with the ATVers. They had some SERIOUS trails cut all over the farm when I first inherited it. My Uncle Reg was of the "chain 'em out" opinion. It didn't do doodly squat. You put up a chain and they just make a path around it.
I went to the local snowmobile club and explained. The snowsled folks generally know the ATV folks, theres alot of crossover. I don't mind the snowsleds at all, they don't hurt anything and its nice to have a trail cut across the farm for when I go out to camp in the wintertime.
Since I've explained the situation the troubles have cut back 80%. There is now 1 path across the farm where the used to be 2 dozen. Its pretty grown up and only gets used maybe 3 times a week. The riders go slow and don't dig up the land and I can live with that.

The best part is that once you get some of the ATVers on your side they'll police the rest for you to some extent which I attribute to why we've got so much less damage now. I've also talked to the local ATV/Dirtbike club. I told them what they'd been doing wrong and why I didn't like it. They countered with some reasons and I rebuked with mine. It essentially came down to "I own the land and I can close it off to EVERYBODY, or you can learn to be polite." faced with that logic they've cleaned up they're act.

I really feel this has kept my camp from being burned down. When uncle Reg had the property the vandals were getting more daring, now they're gone.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: ATV's

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community