Antique Tractors
Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A quarter beef. (Or Hi Cow! Good Cow!)

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Dave Munson Mid Illinois on December 19, 2003 at 18:02:50 from (216.8.89.41):

In the case where some one else is thinking about purchasing a mixed quarter beef, this is what I got. (Double this for a side of beef).

Remember from a prior posts a couple weeks ago where my family asked for a quarter beef from the neighbor? See the prior post for what we asked the butcher to do. I got to meet the cow and know the farmer. They run a nice, clean small farm, raise the corn and grain on their land. Every cow is different but I figured that some of this may be considered a ‘semi-typical’ quarter beef.

We picked up our quarter tonight from the locker. We paid the locker $85 and the farmer $280 which works out to $3 per pound. The frozen packaged beef weighs about 120 pounds. The total hanging weight for our quarter was 176 pounds.

Overall we got 45 pounds of hamburger and 75 pounds of steaks, roasts and other stuff. The actual # of packages we received are as follows (we asked that our roasts should be 2-3 pounds and the steaks should be 3 / 4” and 3 per package):

Item # of packages:
Round Steaks 4 (Tenderized)
Swiss Steaks 1
T-bone Steaks 5
Sirloin Steaks 2
Rib Eye Steaks 3
Short Ribs 2
Rump Roast 1 (Rolled)
Sirloin Tip Roast 1
Chuck Roast 2
Arm Roast 2
Stew Meat 4
Soup bone 4
Ground Beef (1.25 lbs. per package) 28 packages
Patties (#15 1/3lb patties/box) 2 - 5 pound boxes

There is no water added to the ground beef and patties. It does taste different from the usual store bought stuff. I do not think we saved a lot from the lowest cost place where we buy beef but I do believe the quality is several steps above.

I had a Bacon Swiss burger tonight for dinner. Delicious cow.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A quarter beef. (Or Hi Cow! Good Cow!)

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community