Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: brunswick stew paddle

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by PCC-AL on November 26, 2001 at 00:53:43 from (216.248.190.233):

In Reply to: brunswick stew paddle posted by rhudson on November 25, 2001 at 16:33:19:

Hi rhudson,
Bout this time of year I sometimes get the urge to work the wood again. We used to make all our axe, hammer, tool handles and many other items we used here at home.
Don't know what part of the country you're in so not sure what trees you have. Popular is a nice light weight wood, but as you suspect, it doesn't hold up for a long time. Our old bread board and bowl are made from popular. Also, the old salt log in the smokehouse is hewn from a single popular log about three feet in diameter.
My favorite is ash for strength and straight grain. We used this for most handles as well as some hickory. I still like to make walking sticks from the young hickory. If you have ever split firewood by hand, dogwood is what we used to make the "glut" or wooden wedge that is driven into the partly split log to finish splitting it. The heavy wooden maul we made from hickory cured in front of the open fire.
We used white oak splits to make the chair bottoms and backs. We generally used oak or hickory for the cooking paddles. My mother as a child used sweet-gum to make her toothbrush. The end of a green piece was chewed until the fibers separated to form bristles. I've rambled a little too long. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: brunswick stew paddle

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community