Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: lost electricity

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by Ludwig on December 05, 2001 at 07:18:54 from (

In Reply to: lost electricity posted by rhudson on December 04, 2001 at 14:56:52:

Well you don't rely on electric heat I'll tell you that!
Heh, my folks have a coal stove in the basement and a gas range. They've never had a generator, and in 98 when we got the ice storm we didn't have power for '69 hours.
Just cooked on the gas range and kept the stove stoked and glowing. Heated the whole basement and first floor of the house pretty good. Second floor was pretty cold. My parents slept in the first floor bedroom and I put a cot in the basement. During the day I spent time outside clearing the branches that fell from ice weight.
Now that I live in an apartment things are a bit more challenging. We have an electric range, so I got a whitegas campstove. I figure that if I crack the window that will probably keep us warm enough to get by and cook our meals. We haven't lost power for more than a minute in the two years we've been living there, but if we do, we're ready.

As for driving, just have good tires, go slow and keep your foot off the go pedal.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Subject: Re: Re: lost electricity

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community