Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

Re: brown vs white eggs

[ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by F14 on December 08, 2001 at 14:11:44 from (216.252.28.30):

In Reply to: brown vs white eggs posted by Cowboy Joe on December 08, 2001 at 10:55:29:

I get both from my chickens (mixed flock) and virtually everyone I sell to wants the brown.

Here's the logic, as I understand it: Most commercial egg producers with "production line" plants, captive birds that never leave their cages, artificial hormones, lights on 24-7 etc. produce white eggs, because the hybrids that can stand those conditions and lay the best, lay white eggs. These egg factories ship all over the country, and eggs can easily be 2-4 weeks old before you ever see them in the stores.

Conversely, folks that raise their own birds under more traditional home-flock conditions, let them range to supplement their regular feed, and get plenty of fresh air and sunshine tend to raise varieties that produce brown eggs. Frequently these are dual-purpose birds (meat as well as eggs) tend not to be as efficient (more pounds of feed per bird per year) and therefore not cost effective for the big factories. Brown egg producers tend to be local, so the eggs in the store are fresher.

Also, varieties that lay brown eggs tend to lay larger eggs.

If I were to take two eggs out of my coop, one brown and one white, fry 'em up and set 'em in front of ya, I seriously doubt ANYONE could tell me which is which, outside the statistics of random chance.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: brown vs white eggs

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community