Modern Tractors
Site Map
Links Page
Contact Us

Country Talk Discussion Board

A few questions for you sugerers

[ Expand ] [ View Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Return to Forum ]

Posted by SteveB on February 12, 2004 at 09:06:14 from (12.160.1.185):

Growing up in Michigan I used to make a little maple syrup. I had never seen it done before so I was on my own to figure out the process. Never had much trouble getting sap out of the trees - it was not uncommon to get 5 gallons per tap per day.

I am now in NE IL and tried tapping a half dozen trees a couple years ago and only got about 12 gallons of sap. Most trees yielded nothing. Was going to try again this year and figured I better ask the experts here if I'm doing something wrong. This is my process:

Drill 5/8" hole at 30 degree angle up about 2 inches in. Insert 1 salt tablet and plastic tap as far as it would go. Hang bucket and cover with plastic. Is the salt tablet necessary? Would I be better with 2 smaller taps or 1 larger tap?

For the poster below that was looking for ideas for cooking down, I have a large cast iron kettle about 30" across at the top that I hang from a tripod and cook with wood. I just keep adding sap to the kettle till I run out of sap and cook till it tastes right. I have a hydrometer but don't know what specific gravity to cook to. Any suggestions?

Will probably be setting taps this weekend as the 10 day forecast is for highs in the 30-40 range and lows in the 20s.

Follow Ups:

Post A Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: A few questions for you sugerers

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to this message. Your email address must be entered above to receive notification. This notification will be cancelled automatically after 2 weeks.

[Home] [Search]

Copyright © 1999-2013 KountryLife.com
All Rights Reserved
A Country Living Resource and Community